Thursday, September 16, 2010

New season, new trends: NFL Week 2 Predictions

Can you really learn anything in the first week of the NFL season? Right now, 16 fan bases are thinking their team is going all the way while another 16 fan bases are wondering how they got fooled into thinking their team was any good. While it's important to get off to a good start, plenty of Super Bowl winners have lost in Week 1. Hopefully nobody jumped off a bridge over-reacting to a bad loss in the first week of the season. Don't worry, Arian Foster isn't running for 3600 yards and your team (probably) won't suck every week.

Here are my picks for Week 2. Remember, picks this year are made against the spread and I'll be using the spread values that ESPN uses in their Pigskin Pick'em game. Hopefully I do better this week after a terrible Week 1.

Record Last Week: 7-9, .438
Overall Record: 7-9, .438

Sunday Day Games:

Cardinals (1-0) @ Falcons (0-1, -6.5)
Atlanta played the Steelers tough but I don't think they'll be able to cover the spread against the Cardinals. Matt Ryan has all the weapons but he just hasn't made the next step yet. My pick: Cardinals

Ravens (1-0) @ Bengals (0-1, +1.5)
The Bengals looked terrible against the Patriots, only getting the offense going after the Pats went into prevent mode. Look for the Ravens offense to explode and take out all of their frustrations on the Bengals D after they did very little against the Jets. My pick: Ravens

Chiefs (1-0) @ Browns (0-1, -1.5)
I'm still surprised the Chiefs were able to knock off the Chargers, especially given how poorly Matt Cassel played. The Browns look like they are in for another pathetic season. I feel for you, Cleveland. My pick: Chiefs

Bears (1-0) @ Cowboys (0-1, -8.5)
The Bears look like they are going to put up some points this year so I like this game to be a little closer than you would think. As long as Dallas doesn't make any more boneheaded plays this week, they should still hold on and win by a touchdown. My pick: Bears

Eagles (0-1) @ Lions (0-1, +3.5)
No matter who starts at quarterback for the Eagles, I like them to roll over Detroit by at least a touchdown. With all signs pointing to Mike Vick being the guy, look for him to rack up near 100 rushing yards and a couple of passing touchdowns, making him a real nice fantasy play this week. The Eagles defense, which was actually pretty good against the Packers, should also be up for whatever challenge the Lions throw at them. My pick: Eagles

Bills (0-1) @ Packers (1-0, -13.5)
Let's see, the worst team in the NFL is playing against potentially the best team in the NFL? Hmm, I wonder who to go with... My pick: Packers

Steelers (1-0) @ Titans (1-0, -5.5)
The Steelers proved against the Falcons that they aren't going to just roll over as they wait for the return of Ben Roethlisberger. With two solid defenses in this game, I like someone to win by a field goal, probably the Titans. My pick: Steelers

Dolphins (1-0) @ Vikings (0-1, -5.5)
It already feels like the Saints/Vikings season opener was several weeks ago. While the Vikings didn't look that impressive against New Orleans, I like them to right the ship at home. As for the Dolphins, I still can't believe they only put up 15 on the Bills. My pick: Vikings

Bucs (1-0) @ Panthers (0-1, -2.5)
The Bucs better enjoy that win against the Browns because with Carolina, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati and New Orleans in the next few weeks, they aren't going to get their second win for quite a while. The Panthers are going to have to figure out their QB situation if they want to make the playoffs this year. My pick: Panthers

Seahawks (1-0) @ Broncos (0-1, -3.5)
It's hard to get a good read on either of these teams. Are the Seahawks really good or are the Niners terrible? What are we supposed to make of the Broncos after losing to the Jaguars? I'll give the benefit of the doubt to the home team but they won't win by anything more than 7. My pick: Broncos

Rams (0-1) @ Raiders (0-1, -4.5)
Oh boy, what a game! Unless you have Steven Jackson in your fantasy league, do yourself a favor and watch something else. The Rams didn't look awful in Week 1 so I'll go with them to cover. My pick: Rams

Patriots (1-0) @ Jets (0-1, +1.5)
With all the bluster and all the bravado the Jets have displayed all preseason long, it's going to be pretty funny to see them lose again in Week 2 and have their record drop to 0-2. Sure, they'll be able to slow down Tom Brady a bit, but who exactly is going to produce for the Jets on offense? An ancient LaDainian Tomlinson? An incompetent Mark Sanchez? My pick: Patriots

Jaguars (1-0) @ Chargers (0-1, -7.5)
While I fully expect the Chargers to win this game, I just don't see them winning by anything more than a touchdown. If San Diego wants to win the division this year, they are going to have to do better against the run and in return coverage. My pick: Jaguars

Texans (1-0) @ Redskins (1-0, +2.5)
After his explosion on Sunday, how obnoxious was the guy that drafted Arian Foster in the middle rounds of your fantasy league? Don't count on anything close to 200+ yards from Foster this week; in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if he was held to under 100 yards rushing. As for the Redskins, they are going to need some more of that luck that they had against Dallas to win against Houston. My pick: Texans

Sunday Night Game:

Giants (1-0) @ Colts (0-1, -5.5)
Ah, another Manning Bowl. I wonder if this is the first time that Eli's team has had a better record than Peyton's heading into a matchup? All will be right after this game as the Colts take care of business even without Bob Sanders. My pick: Colts

Monday Night Game:

Saints (1-0) @ Niners (0-1, +4.5)
If they got crushed by the Seahawks, how in the world will they keep up with the Saints? Given the Saints less than stellar offensive attack in Week 1, expect them to put up at least 30 in this one. My pick: Saints

Those are my picks for Week 2 of the NFL Season. Check back every Thursday during the season for the latest predictions. Feel free to discuss, argue or make your own picks in the comment section!

No comments: