Friday, December 19, 2008

It's Crunchtime: NFL Week 16 Predictions

Lots of great games this week, the NFL schedule maker did a good job predicting which teams would be in the hunt and which would be out of it. Here are my picks for Week 16. Remember, all picks are made without taking the spread into consideration.

Record Last Week: 11-5, .688
Overall Record: 144-79-1, .645

Thursday Night Game:

Colts (10-4) @ Jaguars (5-9)
The Jaguars showed a little life last week against the Packers but I think they go back to giving up on the season this week against the Colts. Remember how good Colts/Jaguars games were in the past? This one should be a blowout. My pick: Colts

Saturday Night Game:

Ravens (9-5) @ Cowboys (9-5)
The last game in Texas Stadium shouldn't be a pretty one. I fully expect the Ravens defense to shut down Tony Romo and the Dallas offense in a low-scoring affair. My pick: Ravens

Sunday Day Games:

Bengals (2-11-1) @ Browns (4-10)
Terrible, terrible game. Not even worth me breaking anything down. I'll go with the home team. My pick: Browns

Saints (7-7) @ Lions (0-14)
It looks like this is really going to happen. The Lions have their last, best shot this week against the Saints at home but I can't see it happening. Drew Brees will probably throw for 400 yards and the Saints figure to put up 30+ points. Calvin Johnson can only do so much offensively for the Lions. My pick: Saints

Steelers (11-3) @ Titans (12-2)
The Titans peaked too early and now they are done overachieving. The Steelers menacing defense will carry them in this one and don't be surprised if it carries Pittsburgh all the way to the Super Bowl. My pick: Steelers

Dolphins (9-5) @ Chiefs (2-12)
It's hard to believe this is the same Dolphins team that went 1-15 last year. They have a great shot at the playoffs, mostly because they keep playing creampuff teams like the Chiefs. My pick: Dolphins

Niners (5-9) @ Rams (2-12)
Another battle of two pretty bad teams. The Niners are the lesser of two evils here. My pick: Niners

Cardinals (8-6) @ Patriots (9-5)
This is a tough one. On the one hand, the Patriots can't stop anyone through the air and Arizona has the best passing offense in the league. On the other hand, the Cardinals stink on the road. And they might not have Anquan Boldin. And they really aren't playing for anything since their playoff spot is wrapped up. My pick: Patriots

Chargers (6-8) @ Bucs (9-5)
If the Bucs win, the Chargers are eliminated and the Eagles playoff chances get slimmer. If the Chargers win, it could lead to a possible showdown for the AFC West next week where the loser goes home. The Tampa loss also could set up a huge game in Philly next week. This may be more of a hope then an actual prediction, but I think the Chargers can get it done. My pick: Chargers

Jets (9-5) @ Seahawks (3-11)
The Jets need this one to stay atop the AFC East. They are terrible on the road but I think they find a way to pull this one out. It's not like the Seahawks scare anyone anyway. My pick: Jets

Texans (7-7) @ Raiders (3-11)
The Texans are finally living up to the "sleeper" billing that everyone gave them at the beginning of the year. A win against the terrible Raiders guarantees them at least a .500 record and it will continue their hot finish to the season. Look for a lopsided game here. My pick: Texans

Bills (6-8) @ Broncos (8-6)
This game could be meaningless if the Bucs win. Since I think the Chargers will win against Tampa, Denver will have all the pressure on them to clinch the playoffs. It will be close but I think the Broncos pull it out. My pick: Broncos

Eagles (8-5-1) @ Redskins (8-6)
The Eagles are getting the reeling Redskins at just the right time. The Skins have lost 3 in a row and 5 of their last 6. In fact, Washington hasn't beaten a team with a winning record since they beat the Eagles back in Week 5. The Redskins took advantage of an easy schedule to pad their win total a bit and I look for the Eagles to keep knocking them down. The only way I see the Eagles losing is if they look past this game and at the showdown with Dallas next week but I see little chance of that happening. The Birds will be focused on the task at hand. My pick: Eagles

Falcons (9-5) @ Vikings (9-5)
I'm going to take the Vikings at home in this one but I don't feel especially confident about it. I expect Michael Turner to have a pretty good day and Matt Ryan should be able to pick apart the Minnesota secondary but I just think the Vikings will ride Adrian Peterson and the surprisingly effective Tarvaris Jackson to a win. My pick: Vikings

Sunday Night Game:

Panthers (11-3) @ Giants (11-3)
This is a huge NFC showdown that will determine who gets home field throughout the NFC playoffs. It's also a match-up between two teams going in opposite directions. Even though they are on the road, I like the Panthers to beat the suddenly exposed and injury-riddled Giants. My pick: Panthers

Monday Night Game:

Packers (5-9) @ Bears (8-6)
Is there a more disappointing team in the NFL than the Packers? I have definitely picked them way too many times this year. I won't make that mistake again, especially on the road against a division rival. My pick: Bears

No comments: