Friday, October 3, 2008

NFL Week 5 Predictions

This week I am getting right to the picks. Like always, all picks are made strictly based on who I think will win and do not take the spread into consideration.

Record Last Week:
8-5, .615
Overall Record: 38-23, .623

Byes: Browns, Raiders, Rams, Jets

Sunday Day Games:

Chiefs (1-3) @ Panthers (3-1) Don't believe in the Chiefs just yet. They beat a Broncos team with a terrible defense. Last week could have been the only win the Chiefs get in the first half of the season. My pick: Panthers

Bears (2-2) @ Lions (0-3) Getting rid of Matt Millen won't mean an instant turnaround in Detroit. There are so many things this team needs, like an offensive line, a quarterback of the future and 11 new starters on defense. It's going to take a few years for things to get better in Detroit, and they may get even worse before then. The Bears got lucky last week against the Birds, but they won't need luck this week to beat the Lions. My pick: Bears

Falcons (2-2) @ Packers (2-2) This is a tough one to pick with Aaron Rodgers' status up in the air. If Rodgers plays, the Packers will win. It Rodgers doesn't play, the Falcons have a good chance to pull off the upset. Matt Flynn is not ready to be an NFL quarterback, even against the mediocre Falcons defense. My pick: As of now, Rodgers seems likely to play, so I'll go with the Packers

Chargers (2-2) @ Dolphins (1-2) Can the Dolphins shock the world again against the Chargers? Uh, no. The Chargers have an actual defense that should be able to stop the ONE PLAY the Dolphins used to beat the Patriots. My pick: The Chargers will win this game, but it will be close

Seahawks (1-2) @ Giants (3-0) The Giants are a good football team but their schedule reminds me of what a college football powerhouse school schedules at the beginning of the year. They have played cupcake after cupcake and draw the banged up Seahawks this week. The real season won't start for the Giants until Weeks 8-10 when they play the Steelers, Cowboys and Eagles all in a row. After that stretch, we'll know how good the Giants really are. My pick: Giants

Redskins (3-1) @ Eagles (2-2) It's not a must-win for the Eagles, but this is a game that can vault them right back into the thick of things in the NFC East. After their unlucky loss to the Bears, the Eagles have to be the best last-place team in NFL history. They might not have Brian Westbrook again this week, although I bet he tries to play in this division matchup. If he can't go, the Eagles will once again struggle to get the ball in the end zone. After their Week One effort against the Giants there is no way anyone thought the Redskins would look as good as they do now. I am still not seeing them as a serious contender in the NFC East but they are always tough to play against. My pick: Eagles by a touchdown. This game figures to be pretty low-scoring and with Westbrook out the Eagles D will once again have to step up. Expect a ton of blitz packages that will confuse Jason Campbell. If the Eagles can once again stuff Clinton Portis and the running game, they should pull this one out.

Titans (4-0) @ Ravens (2-1) This might be the toughest game to pick this week. The Ravens have played a lot better than I thought they would and the Titans look like the best team in the AFC right now. When in doubt, always pick against the rookie quarterback. Joe Flacco has been adequate for the Ravens but he's going to have all kinds of trouble against this elite Titans D. My pick: Titans

Colts (1-2) @ Texans (0-3) I've heard some people talking about picking the Texans to win this game. The Texans do always seem to play the Colts tough, but there is no way Peyton lets his team fall to 1-3. The Colts, coming off a bye, have to be considered a lock. My pick: Colts

Bucs (3-1) @ Broncos (3-1) Another tough game to predict what will happen. The Broncos defense is just awful, so I expect the Bucs to put up a ton of points. Will the Broncos be able to keep up against a solid Bucs defense? The Broncos can't really run the ball so they will have to do everything through the air, but the Bucs secondary is top notch. Losing to the Chiefs has really messed with my impressions of the Broncos. My pick: I still have to go with the Broncos at home

Bills (4-0) @ Cardinals (2-2) This one seems almost too easy to pick. The Cardinals defense got destroyed last week by Brett Favre and I would expect Trent Edwards and Marshawn Lynch to have huge games this week. The Bills look like a good bet to go 5-0 and then get beat in Week 7 by the Chargers after their bye. My pick: Bills, but it will be close. The Bills don't blow people out

Patriots (2-1) @ Niners (2-2) Pity the Niners. They are the unlucky team that will face the Patriots, who have had two weeks to prepare after coming off a terrible loss to the Dolphins. J.T. O'Sullivan doesn't stand a chance. My pick: Patriots

Bengals (0-4) @ Cowboys (3-1) Talk about a no-brainer. This is another situation where you have an elite team coming off a loss and facing a weak opponent. While this could be a trap game for the Cowboys, I see them winning. Big. Especially if Carson Palmer sits out again. My pick: Cowboys

Sunday Night Game:

Steelers (3-1) @ Jaguars (2-2) The Steelers are a shaky 3-1 team. Big Ben isn't getting any time to make throws and they don't have a running game after a rash of injuries. The Jags haven't been able to run the ball against anyone except the Colts so don't expect them to bust out on the ground against Pittsburgh. My pick: Steelers in close, low-scoring game. I also predict that it will be about as boring a game as last weeks Monday Night game between the Steelers and Ravens.

Monday Night Game:

Vikings (1-3) @ Saints (2-2) The Gus Frerotte era continues in Minnesota as he looks healthy enough to start. The Vikings aren't as bad as their 1-3 record, but that doesn't mean they are a good team or anything. The Saints have a good enough offense to do damage against a tough Vikings D, especially with Deuce back in the fold. My pick: Saints

So those are my picks for Week Five. If you agree or disagree or have picks of your own, feel free to leave comments!

6 comments:

RunTheBuffet said...

I've noticed that as your site has gotten more sophisticated, it's also the only site that crashes me Safari iPhone browser. Has anyone else reported this?

Ben said...

im pretty sure westbrook is expected to play.

KJ said...

I feel you only went with the sure things..of course thats a contradiction because in football nothing is a sure bet..but I thought your picks were what one would consider safe..Why couldn't Houston win the game with emotion alone..considering this is their first home game of the season..

KJ said...

Can I say all you went with were the sure things..not much of a risk taker are you?? Why not Denver or Jacksonville?? Rodgers may or may not play for Green Bay..Houston could play with a ton of emotion for the chance to finally win one at home..

allthingsphilly said...

Runthebuffet: Not sure why the site is crashing the iphone, I haven't changed anything recently!

KJ: By the Vegas lines, I picked three underdogs. Jacksonville is the favorite in their game, so you want me to pick them and have even more "sure things"?? I did pick Denver, by the way.

KJ said...

Ok..I made a mistake in all my excitment as a first time blogger..
Why couldnt Seattle have a good chance..they come off a bye and are getting a couple of players back and if you watch many of the games with Eli his favourite receiver is Plaxico and he is not around this weekend??