1. Phillies go back to back to back The Phillies offense starting early and didn't quit. In the first inning, Chase Utley, Ryan Howard and Pat Burrell combined for back to back to back homers off Cardinals starter Todd Wellemeyer:
2. Phils put up 9 runs in the 4th The offense erupted again in the 4th inning where the Phillies sent 15 batters to the plate and got 7 hits, walked 5 times and scored 9 runs. Here is the play by play from the inning:
|Philadelphia - Top of 4th||SCORE|
|Todd Wellemeyer pitching for St. Louis||PHI||STL|
|C Ruiz grounded out to second.||4||1|
|K Kendrick hit a ground rule double to deep left.||4||1|
|J Rollins walked.||4||1|
|S Victorino singled to right, K Kendrick to third, J Rollins to second.||4||1|
|C Utley singled to center, K Kendrick and J Rollins scored, S Victorino to second.||6||1|
|R Villone relieved T Wellemeyer.||6||1|
|R Howard singled to center, S Victorino scored, C Utley to second.||7||1|
|P Burrell walked, C Utley to third, R Howard to second.||7||1|
|G Jenkins hit sacrifice fly to left, C Utley scored.||8||1|
|P Feliz walked, R Howard to third, P Burrell to second.||8||1|
|C Ruiz hit a ground rule double to deep right center, R Howard and P Burrell scored, P Feliz to third.||10||1|
|K Kendrick singled to center, P Feliz scored, C Ruiz scored, K Kendrick to second on throwing error by center fielder R Ankiel.||12||1|
|J Rollins walked.||12||1|
|S Victorino doubled to deep left, K Kendrick scored, J Rollins to third.||13||1|
|C Utley walked.||13||1|
|R Howard struck out swinging.||13||1|
|9 Runs, 7 Hits, 1 Errors|
3. Howard homers twice After hitting the second of the back to back to back home runs in the first inning, Ryan Howard connected again for a 3-run shot in the 6th:
It was a good homecoming for Howard, considering he finished the night 3 for 5 with 5 RBIs and 4 runs scored. He also struck out twice.
1. J-Roll hitless Jimmy Rollins was the only Phillie starter to not get a hit. He still drew three walks and scored a run.
2. Cardinals issue 8 walks The Cardinals pitching was terrible all night. It got so bad that they were forced to use second baseman Aaron Miles in the 9th inning. Miles did manage to pitch a one-two-three inning to finish off the game.
3. Cardinals ejections Three Cardinals were ejected in tonight's game, including pitcher Russ Springer, Manager Tony La Russa and Third Base Coach Jose Oquendo. La Russa was particularly heated after Springer was tossed for "throwing at" Ryan Howard in the 8th inning. The pitch looked like it just slipped out of Springer's hand so La Russa was justified in getting upset.